Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Support Group and New Goals

Last night was my support group. We actually had three people! Whoohoo! :) Last month I was by myself and the two before that there were only 2 of us. One of the ladies there I had met before – right before my surgery.

The second was a new member. She actually had band surgery 6 years ago, but had gained back all the weight. She admits it was her own fault since she didn’t keep up with her fills (after a complete unfill), exercise or stick to the diet. She was basically starting over. I think she will be an asset to the group. She has a volume of knowledge of not only what works, but what doesn’t. I think she felt a little uncomfortable, but I hope she is there next month.

The strange thing was that I am sure I have met her before. Her voice and her face seemed so familiar to me. It was like Déjà vu. Shivers kept running down my neck when she talked, but I just can’t figure it out. I didn’t want to ask her because I didn’t want to make her more nervous. I really hope she comes back or I will drive myself crazy trying to figure it out ;)
One great thing is that the NP was suggesting future topics and she suggested we try to do a few exercise classes so we could try new things. She is going to look into finding someone to do a Zumba class as well as possibly a Yoga or Pilates class. Now since I can’t dance I didn’t want to try a Zumba class on my own, so I think this will be great. We also have a decent sized gym upstairs that they also use for Physical Therapy and she was going to look at getting the trainer to do a session on how to use the equipment. Now I know some of you don’t like it when the meetings turn into “showing fat people how to exercise”. However, I think this will be more about trying new things and not just the basics. I am looking forward to it!!



I also mentioned a new goal of mine at group and the NP immediately wrote it down to hold me accountable. I have been tossing it around for a few weeks so I am going to announce it now: I am going to run a 5K this year!! It won’t be soon, but I will do it.

I also changed my “first” weight goal. My doctor had said that a BMI of 30 should be our main goal. His justification is that getting down to a 30 BMI has been shown to reduce weight related health concerns almost entirely. Plus as you get closer to this goal you will know better of what you want your end goal to be (if you decide to go lower).

For me that means 180 pounds. That is on the low edge of 30 (an ounce a way from 29.9) so I really wouldn’t be considered obese. However, that is awfully darn close. I don’t want to be a pound away from seeing that label again. So to give me a little breathing room, my new “first” goal is 175 pounds. This equals a loss of 100 pounds (which also is the cut off for insurance paid tummy tucks according to my dr). I would be a happy stopping at this weight, but it really depends on how I feel once I get closer. I can’t wait!! :)

7 comments:

  1. I like your new blog picture with the boat...good idea to have your first goal be a bmi of 30. I am thinking of taking a zumba class and am looking into them. There are a few in my area (royal oak), but I think I may try a zumba gold class first which is for seniors and is more low impact...I will be the youngest one there most likely, but who cares. I haven't exercised for years, so I need to slowly move into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here! I am following you now! Thank you for letting me know and I am excited to be able to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, the class that they are thinking of having for the group is actually a Zumba Gold class - if we can get the right instructor. That way everyone feels comfortable. Let me know how you like it if you do it first. I am a little afraid of it myself ;D

    Amy, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture on your blog too....you have set some great goals too....I will watch and encourage with interest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracy, thanks for pointing me to your "tips" post. REALLY helpful. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tracy! Thanks for stopping in and following! Great blog and congrats on the WL! I'm following...lots of reading to catch up on! -BG

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete