So today was supposed to be my 2nd fill, but we have no idea if it worked or not. Yesterday, the office called me and tried to reschedule until the end of the month with the excuse that it was too early. Of course, I freaked. I am holding on through will power alone and I wasn’t sure how much longer I could keep going without help.
The NP wasn’t there for me to talk to, but I asked to keep the appointment to at least get my restrictions lifted. The receptionist called back a few hours later and told me that she talked to the NP and the reason she wanted to move it was b/c there wasn’t going to be a doctor on site until the end of the month. My NP is new and she hasn’t done a lot of fills so she likes to have someone there when she does them. She said that if I was willing to take a chance she would try, but she wasn’t promising anything.
When I went in today I could tell she really didn’t want to do it. She was obviously hesitant and I could tell she was going to tell me to wait. Three weeks!! Before she could even start I told her how I had absolutely no restriction. I showed her my journal for yesterday and told her how the only way I was making it was drinking and drinking and drinking.
She looked a little thoughtful and then continued taking my stats and running through the usual questions. When she got to how much I was drinking I told her that I had been averaging 12 cups a day sometimes more than 15. Her jaw almost dropped :) She asked why I was drinking so much and then I could see it click; “Because you’re hungry right?” I really wanted to say something smart at this time, but I held my tongue.
She is really nice and I understand she didn’t want to mess up and was trying to find a way to push me to the end of the month. But sometimes it is really annoying to talk to these “skinny” people. They are supposed to be advising us, but they just don’t know what it is like. But I know they care, they just don’t get it sometimes.
She agreed to do the fill, but warned me that she wasn’t going to keep jabbing me and that she would give it her best try. Honestly, if I thought she was someone who would keep jabbing me I wouldn’t have even suggested it. I did figure it was worth a try though.
She got everything ready and inserted the needle. I could tell that she got it in the port and I was very happy. However, after she inserted the saline I could tell that she wasn’t happy. She tried to withdraw the fluid to double check that she hit the right spot, but nothing came out. She actually took the needle out and put more saline in it and injected it once more. She said she was going to try something more time and then stop.
I don’t think she added more liquid in, but she said she still couldn’t get anything out – even though we both agreed she hit the port. She said that she has seen it do this before in a successful fill, but there was no way to tell without poking me again (and maybe again) until she got it where she could remove the fluid. Neither one of us were willing to do that.
Just in case she did hit the right spot she had me drink some water. It did feel different. Almost like the water sat in my throat for a moment. She decided that we would call it a good fill, but at my next appointment if I didn’t feel any restriction the doctor would remove everything and then fill it up again. I am hoping that we hit pay dirt :)
While at the office I had them email me my “before” picture. I forgot to take my camera with me before surgery and ended up using my iPhone – which takes crappy pictures. I wanted a good picture to use as a comparison. I added my surgery pic and a picture taken today (on the iPhone again). Even though today’s picture didn’t turn out the greatest I am happy with the differences already! My only regret is that I tried to wear light clothes for that first pic. I was trying to get close to what I wear when I weigh in at home, but now that I weigh in with winter clothes it is hard to compare - plus I didn’t really like that shirt ;)


Well that's an adventurous fill! I had a few of those last month. I hope you get some restriction!
ReplyDeleteYour pictures look great!
You are looking great!
ReplyDeleteHey, you can still see the difference, believe me. I'm about to do the comparison thing too.. it's a little scary to see how big I was in the first place. Sheeeeesh.
ReplyDeleteYou are getting by on water alone too huh.. or at least were? I so know that feeling. I think I must be on about 8 or 9 cups a day and it's great but wearing thin. Come on down this next fill!!!
Congrats on your fill, I hope you feel really good restriction. Your pis look great, keep up the good work.
ReplyDelete