Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Biggest Loser's Public Weigh In

I don’t know how many of you watch The Biggest Loser, but tonight was the beginning of a new season. They started out this year having the contestants start out weighing in in PUBLIC. And by public I mean like downtown outside in front of family, friends, neighbors, and strangers. Now I know eventually, people are going to see the weigh in even if it is not public, but by then you would have lost weight and it would be easier (I think the show runs something like 8 weeks behind taping).


Bob and Jillian then ask if you would be brave enough to do that. NOPE!! I personally have chosen to tell only family and not even all my family about having surgery – and if I could do it over I would have told a few less family members since some of them have blabbed to others I hadn’t told. I have not told any friends (all of them live away now and won’t notice for a long time). I have made darn sure my work doesn’t know – even though I think my boss might have seen something on my pc :(

I might eventually tell more people, but not until I am far into this process. I can’t even imagine standing in front of everyone and standing on a scale before I lost a single pound. Right now, my medical team and my parents know my weight. I cringe when I think family members knowing it. I would die (or feel like it) if co-workers saw it (not a heavy one in the group).

Now maybe if I had made it onto The Biggest Loser I would have been brave enough, but I might have just told them to stuff it ;)

6 comments:

  1. ahh I felt so bad for sunshine! It seemed like the older contestants were more at ease then the younger ones which is to be expected I guess. I just can't imagine havng to do a publi weigh-in! I didn't tell anyone what my weight was except my fiancee, I can't imagine the whole town knowing! eeek

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kind of seems a mean thing to do? What purpose did it serve I wonder.

    No one knew my weight except my husband - and even then, I would fluff it! lol.. a girls got to have some secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't do a public weigh in! It was hard enough to post my weight on the internet on my blog!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually only told one person, my step-mom, my weight before my surgery. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Once I told one person, I kind of got diarrhea of the mouth and I confessed to my husband, my father, and even a couple people at work but not until after the surgery. I even passed my blog link on to a few friends at work. It was like having the surgery made the confession easier - like since I was doing something about it, it really didn't matter what I weighed.

    I would imagine that the contestants on this season's Big Loser felt the same. At that point you know you have the chance of a lifetime to fix yourself and learn a new way of life - what is there to lose if you weigh in front of your friends, family, and community?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are certainly looking slimmer already and I love the focus and thought you have put into achieving your goals. Hope that second fill works and thanks for all the hints GB

    ReplyDelete
  6. TJ,

    Thanks for your comments on my blog. I appreciate your input.

    BL? I'd do it for the $$$. I would, seriously. I can drop my shame for money.

    But, I didn't tell my parents for a long time. In fact, my mom found out about my band two weeks ago. She hopped a plan to surprise us, and SHE got a surprise! :)

    Lara

    ReplyDelete