Recent research shows that while 52% of participants in a resolution study were confident of success with their goals, only 12% actually achieved their goals. Men achieved their goal 22% more often when they engaged in goal setting, a system where small measurable goals are used (lose a pound a week, instead of saying "lose weight"), while women succeeded 10% more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends.Goals are something that most of us are familiar with. Maybe some of you have also heard of S.M.A.R.T. goals. This acronym stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time based. We use this same system at work and my surgeon’s office promotes this system for their patients. In this mindset I have set up several long term goals for this year with a spin.
- Lose 10 lbs every 8 weeks
- Pay off 10k of debt (house, credit card, student loan,car) not including interest by end of year
- Toss or box for garage sale 10 items from each room each month until sale - trash doens't count :)
- Complete 10 blog postings every month
- Increase exercise to 10 hours every two weeks
- Attend 10 events this year
- Save 10% of income by year end
- Complete a 10 minute mile by year end
- Decrease utility bills by 10% (in total) by year end (tv, cell, phone, internet, gas, electric)
- Spend 10 hours a month dedicated to house work
Also, I have set up my “word” for 2010. I have seen many other blogs do this. I am not sure who started it and all the words that have been chosen, but I have picked “challenge”.
Challenge (v): 1) to summon to a contest of skill, strength, etc. 2) to demand as due or deserved 3) to take exception to; call in question 4) to confront or defy boldly 5) to arouse or stimulate especially by presenting with difficultiesI chose this word for many reasons. First, this entire process is a challenge (a contest of skill, strength). Not that I am competing with other people. I am challenging myself and I mean to win. Second, I am demanding this for myself. I deserve it. Third, I will take exception to those things that hold me up. Whether it is myself, weight loss statics (losing only 60% of excess weight), or things that my nutritionist says that just doesn’t make sense (like eating less than 40 carbs a day – which they later retracted). Forth, I will confront or defy anything that gets in my way. Fifth, getting presented with difficulties only will make me stronger.

LOVE your word - challenge epitomises everything in one single noun about what 2010 holds in store for you!! Great choice.
ReplyDeletePS Sally from Sally's Journey With The Lapband Surgery started the word for 2010 off! Thought you might like to know :)
Love this journal entry. Great goals and love your "word".
ReplyDelete