Friday, June 18, 2010

I Survived!

I lived through my first group run, but it was close :) I can now officially say I have run 4 miles. I was last, but I made it. Luckily I wasn’t by myself this time. Two others (plus a trainer) were with me, but they kept complaining about leg problems. I had no excuse except that it was hard. By the second half they shortened the intervals for us slow pokes, but by then I hated the start of each interval with a passion.

Part of the reason it was so hard is that this branch of the program is 3 or 4 times bigger than last year. So even though they split us into 4 teams, the teams have people with vastly different skill sets. In fact, our “slow team” has more people that the entire program had last year – and they split into 3 teams. Next week they are supposed to split our team into smaller groups so they can pace us better according to our skill set. Hopefully, this will make a huge difference in at least the way I feel during the second half. Yeah it will be 5 miles, but their goal is to not having us puking our guts out when we are done – and believe me it was a close call this time.

Even though it was hard, once the run was over I felt GREAT! I can’t wait until next week. Those running endorphins are absolutely wonderful. Wonderful!!!!! And with the run/walk intervals I felt very little pain afterwards. In fact, I barely felt anything until about noon today. Now I feel like I could use a hot bath or a good massage, but not to the point where I would avoid any activity (except maybe another long run). I think that if I didn’t work on the computer all day I really wouldn’t have notice much besides a slight soreness.

The only other side effect that I noticed is my general lack of hunger. Last night I had a small ice cream cone (150 calories) on my way home and a protein bar later, but I only ate because I knew I needed too. I avoiding eating too much before running so I had many calories to spare. Today I am doing terrible. No breakfast, a tiny lunch (ate my carb first and got really full), and no snacks. I finally went down and got myself some chili for dinner around 7pm, but I still wasn’t hungry. I just knew I needed some protein. For someone who normally eats 5-6 times a day (and stops losing under 1000 calories) this is not a good side effect. What a thing to complain about huh?

I will leave you with a few pictures that I just got of my 5K last month. 
 

9 comments:

  1. What a great accomplishment! You should be so proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four miles? Outstanding... congrats. It makes my knees weak just looking (or thinking) of doing that lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - do you know how proud I am of you? I am positively beaming! WAY TO GO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful. They say it gets easier and even if you don't feel that way during the run the post-run endorphins are worth it. I discovered the elliptical at the gym and am amazed how much I enjoy it. Never thought I would but tried. So keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be so cool to be a part of a group like that. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are looking good! I am so happy for you, what a great accomplishment! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats that is awesome..yoo should be so proud of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete