I have been traveling to Cleveland this week and due to the broken internet at the hotel I am really behind on all my blog reading. I am slowly catching up and wanted to leave a “quick” update.
Before I left I was losing a half a pound a day! I was really hoping that that would continue while I was gone, but it doesn’t look like it did (crossing my fingers for 230 in the morning!). Too much stress and too many hours in the office and car led to no exercise and not the best diet (but not too bad). In fact, although nobody commented again on my weight loss (even when I mention it) they did comment on how little I was eating.
However, dinners were challenging since I didn’t get out to work until 7 or 8 each night. I normally get grilled chicken from KFC when that type of thing happens but the first night I went there I drove off after the staff starting fighting. They were yelling, swearing up a storm, and the guy even whipped off his headset and threw it across the room. The second night I went to Bob Evan’s and got some fish off their new light menu. It was great (still a little high in calories for us), but I still got hungry an hour later. I broke out my cocoa almonds and chowed down on them. WAY TOOO FAST!!! The night ended with my first PB. So far the only time I get stuck is when I eat too fast (almost happened again today) so I really need to slow down!!
One thing I traveled for this week was to get my yearly review. I knew based on what was going on around work that this wasn’t going to be a great one and I know that many of my team members were facing the same thing. One thing that really surprised me was what my boss said about my medical leave.
She actually implied that my medical leave was selfish! She actually said that my leave hurt the team and went on about how I didn’t understand how busy the rest of the team was. Then she said how she thought my work/life balance was all life and no work.
Ohh.. and when I mentioned that she used to give those of us that were remote (I am now the only one) warnings on meeting that were going to be scheduled on site and that she didn’t anymore she said that she felt that that I was making excuses for not traveling to Cleveland - even though I have been there 3 times in the 6 weeks of 2010 (and canceled one of my vacation days to be there). The only thing I can figure out on that last one is either she is considering the restrictions after returning from medical leave (couldn’t travel for the get together at the bar that she later canceled) as an excuse or she didn’t like the fact that even though she changed her plans 4-5 times on me I asked her if it was possible to MOVE one of the meetings since I had a commitment that might prevent me from traveling that day (but when she couldn’t I found a way to rearrange my commitments).
So… To say the least I was stunned. First of all, I don’t think she is supposed to consider my medical leave at all in my review since it was covered by the Family Medical Leave Act. Second, selfish???? This really supports my impression that she knows what kind of surgery I had (I had one of your blogs open one day to get a recipe for dinner and I think she saw it). My parent’s think this shows how ethical she really is, but even if I am wrong this really supports my “don’t tell” policy. I mean if she doesn’t really know and she thinks it is selfish just think what she would think if she knew it was “just” for weight loss.
So since she is considering my medical leave against me I find myself in a situation. I don’t want to lose my job or get penalized for it (or future doctor’s appointments). I figure my only recourse is to report it to our Ombudsmen’s office. She was NOT willing to listen to me when I spoke on other things so I don’t think she will be open to talking about it (I think her exact words at one point were “I’m not going to change so deal with it”). I am going to ask them not to say anything to her since the nature of the complaint would make it hard to be anonymous, but I am going to ask what my rights are and get it documented.
So even though I love my company I think I will be looking for another job. One major problem is that it has to be in Michigan since my house is worth diddly squat compared to what I owe. Too bad the unemployment rate around here is worse than the housing market. However, with the way things are going at work I might just be joining them if I don’t at least try!
Sorry about all the venting! I hope everyone had a better week than I did and I will try and catch up as soon as I can.

Geez, your experience made my crappy Thursday seem like a walk in the park. Your boss sounds like such a biatch. What nerve! I have kind of wondered what my boss will say once I tell her. I don't know that she'd say anything to my face. I plan on using vacation time, but it might be a little inconvenient because I'm not going to give up my week of Summer vacation with my family and my surgery will probably be some time over the Summer too. Anyway, your review sounds like it was a nightmare. Hopefully you can find a new job.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely report her - she is breaking the law on several levels. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Hang in there :)
ReplyDeleteOuch - what a boss. You are a patient girl by the sounds of it. What a cow!! Do you have any other recourse other than to suck it up? If you do - use it... she is wrong, wrong, wrong.
ReplyDeleteI agree with DawnB-- you should not be retaliated against for taking a FMLA medical leave-- you are protected by the law.
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain, I've been having horrible work drama myself.
:-(
My issues are different and under my control to change to a large extent, so I am not in the same boat.
You are a victim of discrimination and if there is an Obudsman, you should contact them.
Wow...I can't believe she said all that. She sounds super unreasonable and it would be illegal too oh and none of her business. Let us know how you get on witht he ombudsmen...good luck
ReplyDeleteGrrr...your post got me all riled up this morning. I've had bosses like that in the past. One once sat me down and told me that it was a man's world and I needed to grow a pair. She called it a testicular augmentation.
ReplyDeleteThat boss of yours is just plain wrong. I hope that the ombudsmen hears you out and the issue is resolved! FMLA is there to protect you.
I really hope you talk the ombudsman and your HR representative. You need to document what went down! I could just see her doing something like letting you go and denying your unemployment claim alleging you were fired for cause!
ReplyDeleteSomeone needs to talk to her about how dangerous her comments are to your company, cause she is exposing your company to an employment law claim.
I totally agree with Dawn, Vanessa and Yana!! Your boss is setting the Company up for some serious problems by her actions! You should report this before it gets anymore out of hand. Your boss is being totally unreasonable.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was still working, I too was covered under the FMLA Act and my employer was very good about never saying anything against any time missed that was considered FMLA.
I'm just going to add that she has no right to know the reason for your medical leave nor should you ever have to reveal any information. She may have seen a blog, but that doesn't prove the type of surgery you had. Given her negativity, she has no right to know, nor does anyone else in your organization. I chose not to say anything at work except for a few close friends--and I only told them I was having a hiatus hernia repaired. Hope all works out. It is a bad economy so maybe she is just trying to set everyone up for layoffs--or maybe she will be the one to go.
ReplyDelete