Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bullseye!!

Finally!!

I went today planning on asking them to do a 1.5 cc fill since I haven’t had a successful fill since before Christmas. I know that most people don’t get restriction until they hit 7 (in a 11cc band) so I figured 6.5 shouldn’t be a problem. The NP was one step ahead of me and after hearing what I could eat said that she was going to put 2 in unless the PA from the main hospital disagreed.

When the PA got there (30 minutes late), he asked about what I could eat too. I told him nothing bothered me even a soft bisquit and that I could eat a large chicken breast with no problems. In fact, I could probably eat more but that I hadn’t pushed it too much. He immediately said that they would do a THREE cc fill!! That means I have 8ccs now!

Once they started I became a training dummy, but I didn’t mind. It feels so strange to have them passing the needle around (inside me) and adjusting things. The PA made my NP take out the needle at one point and try again by herself. Kristy felt bad about sticking me again, and asked it if was ok, but the PA just pulled it out and said she had to do it :) I got a great lesson in doing fills myself and we figured out that she was actually hitting the plastic part of the port before which is why we both could feel it hit the port, but she couldn't remove any liquid.

I have to say it is kind of nice to be one of a handful of band patients (except for the crappy fills). I get a lot of 1-1 time and we probably both learn a lot. We spent the first 20 minutes talking and she gushed over all the changes in my body (it felt so good!). She was especially excited about the weight loss without restriction. I even confessed to all my non-bandster ways over the last two weeks. I really wanted her to understand that just because I am doing well doesn’t mean I don’t need help. She understood and I felt so much better.

I am on full liquids for the rest of the day not clears… yippee! I asked why I had to do clear liquids and she said that I really don’t have too. So I made up some cheddar potato soup and it tastes so good compared to the chicken broth I was planning on!

Best part about today – my soup is gurgling. I ate my half a cup and a couple minutes later I actually felt bubbles in my chest. I am guessing that is the food going through the pouch. I really hope the burping that followed doesn’t last, but I am thinking that this is a great sign of restriction!!!

8 comments:

  1. It must be a great feeling. Restriction, that is. I have a feeling a big weight loss is coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gurgling is my best test of restriction...and I still burp like a drunken sailor! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! That sounds great - nice healthy fill! Here's to restriction and some big losses in the next couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow ...huge fill....lets hope it is the one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am already jealous!!! I have my next fill appointment on Tuesday and I am just counting the moments until that needle stick!

    Congrats on such an aggressive fill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad you had to be a sticking pin but at least you will be able to guide them along next time. Hope the fill works to keep the weight moving downwards. Great weight loss. You should be so proud of the work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete