Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Food Journal - By Request

Yana asked me to post what I am eating so I went into my food journal and here you go. Now each one of these have problems and I am still working on getting everything balanced right. However, it will give you an idea of what one newly bandster eats.
 
Also, my doctor has 4 stages of eating: Clear liquids; Full liquids and thin purees, Pureed Foods, and Soft Foods. These don’t match what I have heard from others since I basically have 2 different types of mushies. I push the envelope some since I don’t have any issues, but my nutritionist can see everything and monitors me closely (one “advantage” of being part of a small office).

Meal 1: 



I was in the “Pureed Foods” phase here (which equals really mushy). I still got most of my meals through shakes, but I started to go to more substantial items. I added in a crab and cheese dip (with extra crab) and a chicken chili. Both were pushing the limits some, but I made sure that they were smashed really good (I hate purees of non veggies).


Meal 2:

 

In this meal I was moving to soft foods (I move slowly – normally one item at a time). My fat is WAY too high here, but I was really struggling to get calories in so I didn’t worry about the high fat. I also should have added more protein in during the evening, but I thought my goal was 50-70, but it is actually 60-80.

My favorite way to get mushies (especially my purees) is through homemade soups. I take a veggie that I have (in this case cauliflower), boil it in broth, add seasonings and then finish it off by adding evaporated milk. I then blend it until it is smooth and creamy. This makes a great lower fat cream soup (you can use low fat or no fat evaporated milk). You can also add a unflavored protein powder to your bowl when warming it up.

I made my green been casserole with French Style green beans so they would be more “mushy” :) I also had a piece of fish, but it was extremely soft (toooo soft). Since this was my dad’s birthday I also had some cake and ice cream. However, I had a sliver of cake and 2T of ice cream. It was great and the little I had hit the spot.

Meal 3:

I am solidly in the soft phase at this meal and am pushing towards regular foods. My fat and protein are good, but my carbs are too low. I was told today to start adding more to my snacks – especially in the morning. If you can’t tell by this journal I am not very hungry in the morning, but start getting more and more hungry in the late afternoon and evening.

The cream of chicken and vegetable soup was made similar to what I talked about above. In this soup I added several veggies and added in chicken. I cut things up small, but also used my immersion blender to blend it a little more (not completely smooth).


Other things I have found that I really enjoy:
  • Laughing Cow Cheese and crackers
  • Egg salad on crackers
  • Wheat thin Flatbread crackers (New product)
  • Well baked Sweet Potatoes with a little cheese on them
  • Cottage Cheese

 Hope this helps some!


7 comments:

  1. Is it bad that I am dreaming about cheese?
    ;)
    Thanks, this was very interesting for me to read!

    Thanks for all you comments as well - it is so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I was just looking at your stats...while I count my starting weight as 280, I was 275 when I started pre-op, cause I had been sick for two weeks...that's exactly the same as you, so it seems like I am just about a month behind! Lead the way, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 275 weight was actually my weight in July. I lost 5 lbs gained 4 lost 5 gain 3... I was 270 the week before the preop diet, but that was before my early birthday dinner (seafood buffet) and my "last supper" (mexican). I tried not to go too crazy, but I know I gained. I don't know how much I actually weighed when I started since I was afraid to look. I am guessing I was close to my highest 275, but not sure.


    I am amazed at how fast time has flown. It really doesn't seem like it has almost been a month. PostOp is still restrictive, but so much better for me. It is a lot easier not to cheat since you are scared to hurt your band. Plus the variety of food is much better!

    I hope your lungs are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TJ, what computer program are you using to register calories, etc? FYI...I went back to work too early and am paying for it now...I plan on not leaving my house this weekend. Mentally I feel like I can handle more than my body can take at this time...one week out. Port site is very sore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, I was the same way!! I didn't think I was pushing myself too much. Then all of a sudden all my energy left and the pain got worse. One day I slept almost 18 hours. Now my NP doesn't want me doing more than 10 minutes of physical activity at a time. I think she is being more strict since I didn't realize I was pushing too hard. I still go out and shop, but if I do that is it for the day.

    For the website I am using the Realize.com site since I got a Realize band. It is free for me and the surgeon's office can actually check see most of the stuff I am putting in - the detail they could see shocked me at first. But then I remembered that is kinda the whole point :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tracey,
    Though it's a bit late to say it, thanks for following my blog... (I have just been going through it looking for people I might not have 'met' lol. I came over to have a look at yours and have read the entire thing. You are doing SO GREAT!! I love that you have a plan in mind and even a month out are doing so well.
    I hope you have a lovely Christmas and I look forward to more posts.
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi TJ..just read your complete blog and although you had a rough start and nearly didn't make it you seem to be going great guns now. I didn't realise I am just a few weeks behind you. Have a great Christmas and keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete