- When did you start running (weight/fitness level)?
- Did you ever run before?
- What kind of training did you do? Did you do any weights or cross training in addition to the running?
- Are there any runners out there with flat feet? Do you have any issues?
- Where are your favorite places to run? Parks, trails, roads?
- I have signed up for a 5k in 61 days 19 hours and 31 minutes :) – any advice?
- Have any of you run or are in training for a half marathon?
Monday, March 22, 2010
Calling all runners – Questions!
So I am thinking of becoming a runner. It is soo NOT me. I can remember running in middle school gym and dreaded it!! However, something has taken over my body and running is starting to sound … fun! OMG!
So I have a few questions for all you runners!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Way to go... I am not a runner but if you can visualize it you can do it... Let us know how it goes...
ReplyDeleteTracy, JUST DO IT!
ReplyDeleteI did run in high school, and kept in shape by running until I had my first baby (at 29). Then I quit for about 6 years, and started back up.....When I was 220 pounds!
So you can definitely do it even if you have some pounds to go.
Here are some answers:
•What kind of training did you do? Did you do any weights or cross training in addition to the running? When I first started back running after that 6 year break, I focused only on running. I did the C25K program or something similar. However, I read somewhere that the more often you run, the faster you will get better (seems obvious), so I was running 5 days a week. That is not necessary really.
•Are there any runners out there with flat feet? Do you have any issues? No flat feet here.
•Where are your favorite places to run? Parks, trails, roads? Hands down, without a doubt, trails. It is a 2-for-1 deal: you get the run plus nature. And it is better for your knees and joints than pavement. It is also better for improving your balance, agility, and coordination since you are running on/around different things. For me, running on trails feels like being a kid again, just running wild in the woods. ;)
•I have signed up for a 5k in 61 days 19 hours and 31 minutes :) – any advice? No problem, you can do it! Again, try following the C25K program. You definitely need to follow some sort of training program.
•Have any of you run or are in training for a half marathon? Here is how it went for me - I started back running in August, did a 5K in October. Then did a half marathon in December. But I was very motivated....I did another half the following summer, and a full marathon (run/walking) 2 months later. For the first half I did it the dumb way - I ran the whole damn thing. Not necessary. For the second half and full marathon training I joined a run/walk training program (the Galloway method). This was MUCH better and my times were actually better with walk breaks.
Make sure you have good, reasonably new shoes when you start training. JUST DO IT! Running changed my life. ;)
P.S. By the time I did the first half I was about 199 (lost about 20 lbs). By the time I did the full marathon, after 6 months of training, I lost another 10 pounds (YES, AFTER 6 MONTHS!) so I was about 189. (And I stayed at that weight about as long as it took for me to cross the finish line, then I gained it all back....)
ReplyDeleteI most closely resembled a runner when I was a lot lighter on my feet. I have always dabbled with wanting to be a runner but love swimming more - and much prefer swimming to running for the low-impact. I will say that at lighter weights it was A LOT easier as the impact wasn't nearly as painful. I'm sure I'll dabble with it again in the future, but for now, I think (at ~250 lbs) that I want to lose at least 50 pounds before I start subjecting my feet and knees to that impact. And when I do start, I think the couch25k is how I want to get into dabbling.
ReplyDelete