Monday, September 20, 2010

Long Distance Running vs. Weight Loss

Six months ago when I first put my idea of being a runner on paper (or online) it didn’t seem real. I knew that I would at least finish the 5K I had registered for, but the half marathon I wrote about – well I never thought it would happen. First, I didn’t think I would be able to physically do it. My knees had hurt for years due to repeated injuries while in high school. A year ago I could barely walk some days because the bottoms of my feet would hurt so bad (plantar fasciitis I believe). Second, well I just didn’t think I would do it. In the back of my mind I “knew” I would find some excuse to not embarrass myself. I could barely run a single mile at that point and here I was planning on running 13.1.

The first day of my training came and our group placement run was held. Like I said before I came in last. Ok I knew I would be in the slowest group, but I was not prepared on how much slower I would be. The next week we ran 4 miles and I thought I would die. As the weeks went on and our miles got higher I learned a lot about myself.

I learned that I could actually run the distance with the right training. I learned what training worked well for me (Galloway’s method). I learned how to stick up for myself (who thought I really needed to learn that!) and to make sure I got what I need to succeed. I learned how to properly fuel and hydrate before and during a run.

What I also learned is that weight loss and long distance running don’t go hand and hand. I was warned by several people before I began training that my weight loss would slow down and probably stop - if not increase by a few pounds. I mentally heard them and understood the whys, but just like becoming a runner didn’t seem real neither did plateauing because I was running double digit miles.

Well the fact is that it is happening. I lost 4 pounds in June, but then lost 7 in July. I figured June was a fluke. August came and I lost 4 pounds again. However since the 3rd week of August I have lost 2 pounds. 2 pounds in 4 weeks and honestly those 2 pounds rarely show up on the scale. Most days I am up 1-2 pounds. Today I am up almost three from my all time low of 187.

Every week since the last week of August has been a race or long run – a 10 mile race, a 10k race, a 10 mile practice run, and a 13.1 practice run. I am eating more – especially more carbs. I am eating less than I burn so I would expect a consistent decrease, but of course it doesn’t work that way (or so EVERYONE told me). This has been a little hard for me to deal with. I feel like I am doing so much work with little results. My rational mind understands, but in the back of my mind just thinks I should be able to do both. Before my 10 mile practice last week I decided not to eat the same way I was. It wasn’t a fully thought out conscious idea. It was more instinctive and emotional.

What a stupid idea. I had to be driven back at the 7 mile mark. I completely ran out of energy. The world was spinning and I couldn’t think. I was so ticked at myself! I realized at that point that on race day I will be obese. There is no out of it. I hate it! I have come so far, but will still have that label when they do my post race health check. There is even the chance that by doing this running I may not reach my 100 pound goal by my 1 year mark. I only have 2 months to go and I still have 12 pounds to go. Even if I am able to lose another pound during the last two weeks of my training (and that is questionable) I would have 11 pounds to lose in 6 weeks. Doable yes, but not a guarantee - especially with the chaos in my life.

This was hard to come to grips with. I still haven’t fully accepted it. But what I learned this Saturday during my 13.1 practice run is that this is fully worth it. I may not reach my goal in regards to weight (at least not at the date I wanted), but I have reached and surpassed one of my wildest dreams. I am a half marathoner!

3 comments:

  1. I read your blog often to get inspiration to run. Even if you only lost 4 pounds it is still great and steady. There are a bunch of runners at my school in fact that is the entire lunch conversation every day and I just sit there and smile like one day.
    I would love to chat with you pesonally to figure out all your secrets.

    donutdiva
    email or hit me up on my blog if you get a chance
    bandedup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow and steady wins the race. Keep yourself focused and patient. After all, just look at where you were at a few months ago....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the half marathon is a pretty awesome goal and way surpasses the 12 lbs (that is probably muscle now) that your scale keeps holding on to.

    In my opinion, you're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete