Monday, October 26, 2009

Waiting on Medical Clearance

I went to my new primary doctor (Dr. J) about a week and a half ago to get a physical and medical clearance for the surgery. I knew my old doctor wouldn’t approve weight loss surgery and the replacement I found earlier this summer wasn’t very good. I really like the new doctor and the office. What is great is that they are in a brand new building that contains many different medical offices – including radiology, urgent care, pharmacy, lab plus many other specialties – including the bariatric institute. It made things really convenient since I was able to get all the normal testing for my physical and medical clearance done in one visit.


The visit was going great until the EKG. I was kind of wondering why the nurse double checked my leads during the test and seemed a little more intense than normal, but I figured something must not have been connected tightly. Nope :(  Turns out the left upper part of my heart is working harder than it is “supposed” to. Dr. J said it could be just something I was born with, but since I have had several EKGs, Echocardiograms, and heart monitors in my past I know that isn’t the case. The other reason, according to Dr. J, is likely my weight.

For some reason I am having a hard time dealing with this. I am doing this surgery for my health, but I always thought of it as my future health. I mean I know that my overall health will get better after I lose weight. The asthma and PCOS may also get better, but these conditions weren’t caused by my weight. I thought I was doing something before my weight caused any major health issues. The good new is that no matter WHY losing weight should help.

Even though Dr. J told me that it didn’t mean I couldn’t have surgery (in fact it makes the surgery more important) she hasn’t given me medical clearance yet. The surgeon’s office doesn’t think she will sign off until after the EKG. Unfortunately, I can’t get the Echocardiogram done until the 10th of November – only 10 days before the surgery!

Ohh well.  Time to stop worrying and move on :)

1 comment:

  1. I saw your comment on my blog, I'm not sure how I missed you when you started following! I usually try to check out my follower's blogs, but somehow didn't notice you until you commented today...sorry! Anyway, it sounds like you've gone through a lot to get to this point. Congratulations on getting a date (you're just a couple weeks after me!) and I'm hoping all works out with getting the medical clearance! Like you, I realized during testing that I needed surgery more than I realized because it turns out I'm pre-diabetic. Anyway, I look forward to sharing with you along the way as we both get healthy!

    ReplyDelete