Yeah! One more hurdle to a successful November surgery is complete. Yesterday, I completed my esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) which is the only major test I had to have completed before my surgeon would give his medical clearance.
I have had this test before and HATE it. I know that I will be able to breath, but the thought of the scope going down my throat makes me feel like I won’t. As someone who lives with asthma I know what struggling to breath feels like and the thought of it puts me into a panic. The first time I had a mini panic attack and started crying so they knocked me out deeper than they probably normally would (no waking up like I did during my colonoscopy!).
This time I thought I would be fine. I did, however, tell the nurse anesthetist that didn’t want to remember a thing. I was half way joking with him since I really thought I would be fine – that was UNTIL they put in the mouth guard. I don’t remember them doing that last time and I really think they should wait until you are out. The sensation is strange and it makes you feel like you have to work harder to breathe which of course was a trigger for my fear. At this point I started to freak out – which of course signaled the nurse anesthetist to get things going. A few deep breaths and was in dream land and I don’t remember a thing afterwards :)
Turns out I have a small hiatal hernia, but the doctor says it won’t be a problem. So my banding surgery will probably take a little longer since he will have to repair it, but a few minutes here or there doesn’t really matter. The best news is that my shoulder pain and asthma may have been irritated by the hernia and may get much better after it is fixed.

No comments:
Post a Comment